What is IUI treatment?
IUI is a basic fertility treatment where the a catheter is used to put washed and prepared sperms at the top of the cavity of the womb (Uterus ) around the time of ovulation to increase the chance of getting pregnant.
The probability of pregnancy is further increased when tablets and injections are used for the egg production and accurate timing of insemination is maintained to coincide with egg release (Ovulation ). Once one or two follicles (fluid-filled sacs) have reached 17-18mm across, the eggs inside the follicle will be mature and egg release (ovulation) is triggered with a different injection. Insemination takes place 36 – 40 hours after the trigger injection.
Why IUI ?
- Unexplained Infertility
- Hormonal imbalance / Anovulation / PCOD
- Minimal endometriosis
- Mild sperm problems
IUI is only recommended if your fallopian tubes are normal-patent and 5 million or more forward-moving sperm are present after the sperm preparation process.
What are the chances of getting pregnant with IUI?
The chance of getting pregnant with IUI is approximately 15- 20% per cycle as this is less invasive basic fertility treatment where fertilization happens naturally in the fallopian tubes.
Are there any risks ?
Approximately one in five females (20%) undergoing IUI might develop multiple pregnancy. Very rarely there is a risk of ovarian hyperstimulation if many follicles develop.
What are the steps of IUI treatment ?
- Consultation with expert after baseline fertility work up of couple and decision of IUI
- On Day 2 of menstrual cycle (proper flow should be considered as day 1 of cycle ) to start the medications as advised
A.Tab Letrozole 2.5 mg or 5 mg daily for 5 days (day 2 to day 6 or day 3 to day 7)
& Inj HMG 75 IU IM on day 7 and day 8
- Inj HMG 75 IU IM daily from day 3 to day 8 daily
– Folliculometry by transvaginal ultrasound from day 9
- Once the follicle size crosses 17 mm and above the trigger injection (Inj hCG 5000 IU IM ) at night is advised
- IUI procedure is planned 36 to 40 hours after this injection
- Semen sample is collected on the day of IUI 2 to 3 hours before procedure with 3 days of abstinence
- Semen preparation time is usually 2 to 3 hours
- IUI procedure is done with controlled full bladder
- IUI procedure is not painful and not lengthy ( 5 to 7 min).
- Post procedure 5 minutes rest is given on table
- After 5 to 10 minutes of procedure bladder can be emptied.
- Progesterone medications are given for 15 days after IUI.
- Urine pregnancy test is done on 15th day after IUI.
What are the precautions to be taken during or after IUI treatment ?
- Do maintain normal routines. There is no need of bed rest.
- Heavy exercise and exertions to be avoided.
- Do maintain normal healthy balanced diet with good hydration.
- Normal sexual intercourse can be maintained during and post IUI procedure (except 3 days abstinence before giving semen sample for IUI)
- During the treatment process the other medications which are safe in pregnancy can be used if needed for some coinciding medical conditions.
- Positive attitude and stress free mind will certainly play a role .
What is the support provided?
We recognise how stressful both struggling to get pregnant and IUI treatment is. Therefore we offer specialised fertility counselling before, during or after your treatment.
If your IUI treatment is not successful, we will discuss with you about further treatment, investigations or procedures are recommended.